Radon Awareness and Education

Radon is an invisible, odourless, and tasteless radioactive gas that is found naturally in soil and rock from the breakdown of uranium. Radon gas can get trapped in the home, posing a health risk to you and your family. All homes have some level of Radon and the only way to know how much radon is in your home is to test for it. There is also no safe level of radon exposure, however the longer you are exposed to high levels of radon, the greater the risk of developing lung cancer.

Long-term exposure to high levels of radon can lead to lung cancer making it the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers and the second leading cause of lung cancer (after smoking) overall. One Albertan is diagnosed with radon related lung cancer every day, and it is estimated that 3,200 deaths every year in Canada are because of radon.  People who smoke AND are exposed to high levels of radon have an even greater risk of lung cancer.

The Lung Association, Alberta & NWT attends health fairs and community events throughout the province, educating the public about the dangerous effects of Radon, in addition to online and print public service announcements. 

It is with the support of individual donors that the Lung Association can continue to bring this issue to the forefront and inform the general public about radon testing. To support the Radon Awareness program and other programs like it, donate today.

To inquire about having a Radon Information table at your community event, contact us!

 

Learn more about radon or purchase a test kit here.

Page Last Updated: 11/03/2019