Smoking in Alberta
In Alberta, 83% of Albertans are tobacco-free, meaning only 17% of Albertans smoke.
Smoking in the NWT
- 41% of residents in NWT smoke, but 59% of the population are smoke free!
- There has been no decline in smoking rates in NWT since 1994
The Northwest Territories Health & Social Services has launched a free, telephone quitline to support residents of NWT who want to quit smoking. Visit their website or call 1-866-286-5099 for information and support on quitting!
Youth and Smoking
- Albertans aged 20 to 24 have the highest smoking rate in 24%1, but 90% of Alberta youth between the ages of 15 to 19 are non-smokers!1
- More youth smoke in NWT than in any other province.
- Youth across Alberta and NWT are taking a stand against the tobacco industry!
The Northwest Territories Health & Social Services’s Don’t be a butthead is a website designed specifically for school-aged youth in the NWT. Learn about tobacco, read people’s stories, and make the promise to be smoke-free! .